A – Z E-Cig Glossary
Note To Any New Users: Please do not get confused. Vaping is simply a battery, a heating element and some e-liquid to vaporize. Refer to this glossary as needed.
Please let us know in the comments below if you see or know anything that needs to be added or changed. I know these words aren’t in alphabetical order, but we’ll get to that soon.
- Atomizer (Atty): The atomizer is contained in a metal housing that screws into the battery. When the mouthpiece is removed, it looks like a silver loop of metal. The atomizer is what turns the liquid into a vapor. Atomizers are used on a multitude of products from perfume bottles, inhalers for medications, cooking sprays, squirt bottles etc. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Atomizer Tank: The atomizer tank is your standard style tank with a dual-coil pre-dotted/slotted atomizer. Other or more out of the ordinary and much more expensive atomizer tanks are those that are rebuildable or serve more than just one purpose. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Analog: A tobacco cigarette, where the electronic cigarette is “digital”.
- Advanced Personal Vaporizer (APV): The more advanced version of a personal vaporizer. The APV usually consists of a bigger battery and tech features such as variable voltage or variable wattage. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Adapter: Used to allow a specific style of atomizer or cartomizer to fit onto a different style of battery. Many users prefer the vapor production of one style of atty but prefer the battery life of another style battery. This allows them to have access to both simultaneously. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Automatic (Auto): A battery that is activated by taking a draw, like an analog cigarette. These types of batteries are unsealed as they allow air to flow through them. Often damaged by liquid leaking into the battery. These types of batteries are not recommended for dripping. Automatic electronic cigarette batteries can be activated by sound or a breeze.
- All Day Vape: Your All Day Vape is the e-liquid you most rely on or favor. That e-liquid that hits the spot and that you can constantly vape because it never gets old.
- Boge: Boge is a company or brand better known for its selection of cartomizers. The Boge cartomizer has made a name for itself of being one of the best on the market because of the quality and low-cost.
- Battery: The battery is what provides power to the atomizer when the user inhales on the mouthpiece. It is general lithium-ion, ranges in size and has an LED light on the end that glows when it is activated, ie. when it is inhaled upon. Manual switched batteries have a button to activate rather than activation upon inhalation.
- Bridge: A small U-shaped covering inside of the atomizer. This is used to absorb liquid and help wick it towards the heating element. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Blanks: Cartridges or cartomizers with dry filler material to be filled with e-liquid by the user.
- Bauway: Bauway is a company or brand better known for its selection of atomizers. The quality is a bit less than others and the cost is extremely low to compensate.
- Cartomizer (Carto): A combination of disposable atomizer and cartridge. It is not considered to be refillable, although many users do manage to do so. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Cartomizer – Single Coil: A single coil cartomizer uses only 1 coil. Using 1 coil is the standard to cartomizers.
- Cartomizer – Dual Coil: A dual coil cartomizer uses 2 coils and is commonly used in tanks. When working as said, a dual coil cartomizer has the ability to produce twice as much vapor or the same amount twice as fast from the standard.
- Cartomizer Tank: The cartomizer tank is a tube to hold e-liquid. The cartomizer sits in the middle of the tube and will have a hole punched in the bottom so that the e-liquid can feed itself into the cartomizer. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Clearomizer: A clearomizer is the transparent version of a cartomizer, designed to allow users to see how vaping actually works and how much e-liquid they have left. In reality, things are a little more complicated. Many in the electronic cigarette business choose to define clearomizers simply as transparent cartomizers, even though they’re not always built the same way. The clearomizer is usually made of thin, very easily breakable plastic, in order to remain transparent. Also most clearomizers don’t have polyfill filling, as it would make it hard for vapers to estimate how much e-juice they have left. Instead they have a wick. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Cartridge (Cart): The cartridge is typically a mouth piece made of plastic and houses a filler material to hold e-liquid. To use a cartridge, you would fill the inside of the cartridge and on the filler material with your e-liquid, then place the cartridge on your atomizer or cartomizer.[spoiler][/spoiler]
- Charger: A battery charger. This is used to recharge your e-cig battery once it has been depleted.
- CASAA: Consumer Advocacy for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association. Non-profit organisation campaigning on the behalf of electronic cigarette users.
- Cut-Off: Cut-off or automatic shutdown is a feature which happen if you try to take too long drags from an e-cigarette. This usually happens after a 5-8 second drag. This will prevent the atomizer from overheating. Flashing LED usually indicates about this feature. Not all models have this feature.
- Coil: A coil is a kanthal or nichrome wire that heats up the e-liquid to produce the vapor.
- Drip: To drip drops of e-liquid into an atomizer.
- Drip Tip: An accessory that can be used in conjunction with an atomizer or cartomizer. These have a larger opening than the original equipment and allows a user to drip Juice directly onto the atomizer. Some people use a drip tip on their Cartomizers simply for looks and/or comfort.[spoiler][/spoiler]
- Drip Well: The drip well is typically a bowl shape on a mod where the atomizer female connector sits. The drip well is designed to catch any excess e-liquid that may have leaked from the atomizer.
- Drip On-Demand (DOD): The drip on demand is a an accessory that is used to feed e-liquid into your atomizer by pressing the bottle. Your bottle of e-liquid is placed at the top of the feeder and a spout or tube is branched off for you to insert your drip tip. It’s dripping made easier. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Disposable E-Cigarette: The disposable e-cigarette usually comes with no charger or way to charge it. It is designed to be used once and to last long enough for you to vape through 1 pre-filled cartomizer. Typically, a disposable e-cigarette is a 1 piece design. It is said to last up to 24 hours.
- Direct Dripping: The act of dripping e-liquid directly on the atomizer coil.
- Dipping: The act of dipping an atomizer into e-liquid.
- DNA: The DNA is a small variable wattage board built for modders. The board can produce up to 12 watts and can be running in parallel to produce 24 watts. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Dewick: The act of removing the wick from an atomizer.
- Debridge: The act of removing the bridge (and wick) from an atomizer – common practice for people who direct drip.
- Drip Shield: The drip shield is a round metal or plastic tube that slips over your atomizer. If leaking occurs on your atomizer, the liquid will leak into the drip shield instead of leaking onto your PV. As your atomizer runs out of liquid stored, the liquid in the drip shield will be sucked back into the atomizer to then be vaporized. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Do It Yourself (DIY): To do it yourself; manually mixing e-liquid with its components. Anything that involves doing it yourself.
- Electronic Cigarette: The Electronic Cigarette is a new product available thanks to recent technology. This “E-Cigarette” is a revolutionary device that acts much the same way an ordinary tobacco cigarette would, but rather than producing smoke from combustion, it produces vapor from vaporization of the E-Liquid. This is also why many vapers referred to their Electronic Cigarettes as Personal Vaporizers (PV). [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Electronic Cigar: The Electronic Cigar acts and uses the same components of an electronic cigarette, but is shaped or made to resemble the look of a tobacco cigar. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit: An Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit is usually composed of 2 batteries, 1 to 2 atomizers/cartomizers and a mouth piece or drip tip. Typically with Mods, starter kits are composed of 2 batteries, the device itself, 1 to 2 atomizers/cartomizers, a charger and a drip tip. The starter kit is meant to be an all-in-one buy to get you starter quickly with everything you need. Some starter kits differ depending on the vendor. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- E-Cigar (ECigar, E Cigar): E-Cigar is short for Electronic Cigar.
- E-Cigarette (ECigarette, E Cigarette): E-Cigarette is short for Electronic Cigarette.
- E-Cig (ECig, E Cig): E-Cig is short for Electronic Cigarette.
- E-Liquid (ELiquid, E Liquid): E-liquid is the liquid that is used to vaporize. E-Liquid typically contains Vegetable Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Nicotine and Flavoring. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- E-Juice (EJuice, E Juice): E-Juice is also known as E-Liquid.
- E-Pipe (EPipe, E Pipe): The E-Pipe acts and uses the same components of an electronic cigarette, but is shaped or made to resemble the look of a tobacco pipe. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- eGo Style: A style of electronic cigarette that utilizes the 510 threads and allows one to use 510 components but with a much larger battery. Many people feel this is one of the superior models of e-cigs that are available. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Electronic Cigarette Association (ECA): An industry group formed in early 2009. It is made up of suppliers and manufacturers who combined resources to help keep the e-cigarette as a legal option for smokers in the USA.
- ECF: E-Cigarette-Forum.com is one of the largest forums on the net for electronic cigarettes. With thousands and thousands of daily active members, if you have a question or just looking for a vaper to talk to, ECF is a great place to start.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA): An administrative branch of the United States government that oversees rules and regulations pertaining to the safety of food and drug products sold in the USA. There is currently a very controversial lawsuit involving the FDA and the importation and distribution of electronic cigarettes.
- Filler Material: The filling inside a cartridge or cartomizer.
- Flooding: Occurs when there is too much e-juice in the atomiser or cartomizer.
- GuideToVaping (GTV): GuideToVaping.com is a magazine style website built for vapers. The website contains useful information about electronic cigarettes, along with news, reviews, studies and quality articles. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Goose Neck: The goose neck is a flexible extension for your PV. Goose necks come in assorted colors and sizes. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- High Resistance (HR): An atomizer or cartomizer with a higher Ohm rating than the standard equipment. This allows you to apply higher voltage to the coil.
- IMR: Lithium Ion Manganese Rechargeable Battery
- ICR: Lithium Ion Cobalt Rechargeable Battery
- Juice: Also known as e-liquid.
- Knuckle Head: The knuckle head is an adjustable drip tip. The drip tip can adjust to any angle desired. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Leaking: Leaking occurs usually through the very bottom of your atomizer and through the vent holes of the atomizer. Cartomizers also leak sometimes, though it isn’t as common.
- Light Emitted Diode (LED): The LED is typically used to simulate the cherry on the end of a cigarette. LED’s are also used on mod’s to let the user know when the PV is activated.
- Liquid: Also known as e-liquid.
- Low Resistance (LR): An atomizer or cartomizer with a lower Ohm rating than the standard equipment. This generally causes the heating element to get hotter faster and produces vapor more quickly. In many cases it produces more vapor than an atty or carto that has a standard resistance rating.
- Mod: A custom-built PV device. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Mouthpiece: The mouth piece sits on and inserted into the atomizer or cartomizer. Some mouth pieces are items such as a drip tip or cartirdge.
- Manual: A style of electronic cigarette battery that has a button (usually on the top or side of the battery) that activates the heating element. When the user wishes to use the device, the button must first be depressed in order to produce vapor from the atomizer. This style of e-cig is less like a traditional cigarette than the Automatic, but is preferred by many due to the fact that it is sealed and can not be adversely affected by Leaking.
- Milligrams (MG): The amount of nicotine found in a Juice. Typical levels include 0mg, 6mg, 8mg, 12mg, 16mg, 18mg, 24mg, 30mg, 36mg and 48mg. Generally speaking, a medium level of nicotine is around 18mg. Those who use Juice with a higher nicotine content than that are generally people who were heavy smokers or have been vaping for quite some time.
- Milliliters (mL): The amount of Juice in a given container.
- Mini: Smaller than the average e-cigarette, the mini-cigarette is actually the same size as the average e-cigarette.
- Modder: A modder is a person that modifies electronic cigarette devices to their preference. Most modders usally mod devices to be more powerful than your typical e-cig.
- mAh: The term “mAh” references to Milliamp Hour.
- Nicotine: An alkaloid found in tobacco and other plans of the nightshade family.
- Nicotine Level: The nicotine level is the amount of nicotine present in a cartridge or bottle of e-liquid. It is usually measured in mg/ml.
- NiMH: Ni-MH stands for Nickel-Metal Hydride. Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries have no Cadmium added. Cadmium is hazardous to the environment. When using Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries, charging should be monitored to avoid overcharging. Nickel-Metal Hydride has no Memory Effect and can be charged or topped-off at any time without affecting battery life.
- Ohm: A measure of electrical resistance. A lower number indicates lower resistance and therefore faster heating.
- Personal Vaporizer (PV): Personal Vaporizer is another term for electronic cigarette. The electronic cigarette uses an atomizer to vaporize the liquid needed to create a vapor for inhalation and exhalation.
- Propylene Glycol (PG): Propylene Glycol is used as a base carrier for the nicotine and flavoring. Propylene Glycol has been deemed generally safe to be used in medical products as well as food products for general consumption. Some people have reported having an allergic reaction to PG. These people also find that they have issues with certain brands of toothpaste, lotions, soaps, and medicines containing PG. If you have issues with PG, it is suggested you look into using a product with a Vegetable Glycerin base.
- Passthrough (PT): A PV that plugs directly into a power source (usually a USB port) to provide constant power to the device.
- Personal Charging Case (PCC): The personal charging case keeps your battery charged while away from an outlet. The PCC is typically used for stick style e-cigs.
- Pen Style: A particular style of electronic cigarette, known for its resemblance to a ball point pen.
- Primer: Some companies use a VG based primer for preservation and shipping. The primer is used inside the atomizer and on the coil. Some would say that the primer doesn’t taste like VG and to blow the atomizer out before use.
- Pull: The draw you take from your electronic cigarette.
- Pipe Style: The Pipe style electronic cigarette is also known as an E-Pipe. The Pipe style or E-Pipe is made to resemble a tobacco pipe.
- Rebuildable Atomizer: Rebuildable atomizers vary in design. Some have fabric wicks, while some stay more pure from burning elements and use SS mesh and kanthal. Rebuildable atomizers are meant to save on cost and be readily fix-able. The cons can sometimes be performance, or ease of use. Some rebuildable atomizer designs incorporate a tank for holding e-liquid.
- Smokeless Cigarette: A term used to refer to an electronic cigarette. This term is used commonly due to the fact that no actual smoke is inhaled or exhaled while using an e-cig.
- Standard Resistance: A standard resistance cartomizer is typically 3.0ohm. A standard resistance atomizer is 2.5ohm.
- Stick Style: The stick style electronic cigarette refers to all electronic cigarettes that are of or close to the size of a tobacco cigarette.
- SmokTech: SmokTech is a company or brand most known for its cartomizers, cartomizer tanks and PV’s. In addition, the company has more quality products than other China manufactures.
- Throat Hit (TH): Throat hit is the sensation that is felt in the back of the throat when the inhalation is taken from the mouth down the throat. There are several factors in throat hit and throat hit, like taste, is totally subjective. Some of the factors to throat hit are nicotine level, purity or quality of the E-Liquid, personal smoking habits or techniques, and the proper usage and care of your hardware. The factor that varies throat hit the most is in the nicotine level. E-Liquids containing more nicotine usually give a greater throat hit.
- Toot: Also known as Pull or to draw from your electronic cigarette.
- Tobacco Harm Reduction (THR): Policy or practice of providing less harmful nicotine-containing products.
- Topping Off: Adding few drops of e-liquid into a cartridge, cartomizer or tank is called topping off.
- Tank: A special type of cartridge that holds considerably more liquid than cartridges with filler. Usually used with a cartomizer and sometimes an atomizer. You just fill them up with liquid and vape.
- Vape: The electronic version of “to smoke.” Referred to as such because of the water vapor produced when the liquid is heated by the atomizer.
- Vaping: To Vape. The act of using an electronic cigarette.
- Vapor: The water vapor that is produced when the liquid is heated by the atomizer.
- Vaper: A person who vapes. A smoker, smokes. A Vaper, vapes.
- Vaporizer: A Vaporizer turns a liquid into a gas or a vapor. This is also another term used for Electronic Cigarette, E-Cig, PV, etc.
- Vegetable Glycerin (VG): Vegetable Glycerin is an alternative to Propylene Glycol and is sometimes used as the majority base in the E-Liquid. Vegetable Glycerin comes from the production of palm or coconut oils and is suitable to be used in sweeteners and in skin care products.
- Vapor Production: Typically associated with Juices. Indicates how much vapor is produced using an average inhale of an e-cigarette.
- Vapegasm: That experience you get when you put on a new atomizer or cartomizer. That first taste you get from your favorite e-liquid. That point when you find your perfect juice, perfect voltage, and discover your sweet spot. (Example: I just put on a new Boge cartomizer and instantly had a vapegasm!)
- Variable Voltage (VV): Variable Voltage let’s you control how many volts your device will produce. Usually with a variable voltage e-cig, you’ll be able to dial in the voltage by a click of a button or sequence.
- Variable Wattage (VW): Variable Wattage let’s you control how many watts your device will produce. This will allow you to set it and forget it, no matter what atomizer or cartomizer you use with the device.
- Vape Safe (2 Cents/Fuse): The Vape Safe Fuse is a tiny disc shaped fuse for use with e-cigarette mods/PV’s. The fuse is an added layer of safety in addition to a good quality battery. While using The Fuse, if your battery were to send too many amps, The Fuse would simply do its job and prevent the electrical circuit from completing, and thus preventing your faulty battery or connection to cause further damage to the battery, mod and/or yourself. [spoiler][/spoiler]
- Wick: A narrow piece of poly string that is inside of many styles of atomizers that allows easier delivery of Juice to the heating element.
Incoming Search Terms:, vape terminology (16), vaping terminology (15), vaping terms (2), vaping glossary (2), vape tank 2012 (2), vape vocabulary (1), e cig terminology (1), vape glossary (1), vape brands a-z (1), legs in vaping term (1)