What Is An Electronic Cigarette
The Electronic Cigarette is a device that is battery-powered to produce inhaled doses of nicotine by way of a vaporized solution. It makes use of a rechargeable battery that powers a heating element (coil). The E-Liquid (also known as Vape Juice) comes in contact with the coil and is then vaporized.
Essentially, the battery provides power to a switch, which when activated will heat a wired coil. In this wired coil is a wicking material. When e-liquid is placed onto this wicking material and reaches the coil, the e-liquid is then heated to the right temperature in order to turn the e-liquid into vapor. As you pull from the electronic cigarette, vapor travels directly from the coil and into your mouth, where it is then to be inhaled and exhaled by the user.
Beginner Tip: When someone uses a tobacco cigarette, they are smoking since the cigarette produces smoke. When someone uses an electronic cigarette, they are vaping since the e-cigarette produces vapor.
Electronic Cigarette Parts
An Electronic Cigarette is quite simple is design, but there are multiple parts that can make up or be used with the electronic cigarette. Below is the basic parts that make up a complete electronic cigarette. Some can be replaced with other style parts. Keep in mind, this version of electronic cigarette is an older style and since the vaping market has progressed, they’ve become less commonly used. Box mods (devices they retain the shape of a box) are now more commonly manufactured and used.
- Tube (or Box): The tube is the housing to the electronic cigarette. Some tubes come in a variety of shapes and sizes to accommodate certain battery sizes and internal electronics. The tube part of the device is typically the bottom part of the electronic cigarette.
- Battery: The battery comes in many shapes, but the typical battery is similar to an AA battery styling and varies in specific sizes. (See Battery Breakdown)
- Power Button (Manual or Automatic): The power button is what activates the battery, which then delivers power to the heating element (atomizer or cartomizer). Some buttons have multiple use functions. The button is considered as a ‘manual’ e-cig. An ‘automatic’ e-cig has no button and is activated by a sensor that detects when you’re pulling vapor from the device. Many e-cigarette users (or vapers) tend to like a manual e-cig more because an automatic e-cig can be triggered to activate at times when not in use, which will deplete the battery life.
- Connector: The connector is a part that sits at the top of the electronic cigarette and is used to accept the atomizer (or cartomizer). The connector has female (or male) threading. The connector will range in various styles such as 510 (the most common), 801 and 901 just to name a few.
- Atomizer (or Cartomizer): The atomizer is a small metal tubed casing that has a male (or female) threading at the bottom to be attached to an electronic cigarette. The top of the atomizer is an opening to allow the use of e-liquid. To fill an atomizer, the user will typically drip 2 to 3 drops onto of the coil (which sits inside and on the bottom of the metal atomizer tubing). The cartomizer is much like the atomizer, except that the metal tubing is a bit longer. Inside the metal tubing of a cartomizer is a filler material. This filler material acts as a wicking system. To fill a cartomizer with e-liquid, the user will pour e-liquid onto the filler material until it has a full or soggy look. A cartomizer is also used inside of tank systems.
- Tank System (or Clearomizer): The tank system is more commonly used today, and is also designed to hold more e-liquid than the outdated atomizers that were once leading the market. The tank is a tube that is usually made from either a plastic or a Pyrex glass material. The top of the tank system has a drip tip (mouthpiece), the middle is where the e-liquid is held, and the bottom is a base where the replaceable coil head will sit.
- Drip Tip: A drip tip is the mouth piece that will sit on top of the atomizer or clearomizer. The casing on an atomizer or clearomizer can sometimes become hot to the touch, so a drip tip is used so that your lip does not come in contact with that heat. A drip tip was also designed so that you could easily drip e-liquid into your atomizer without taking off the mouth piece. This is done by pouring your drops of e-liquid into the center hole of the drip tip.
As the vaping market has progressed, new electronic cigarette products have emerged. Even though they’ve taken on a new shape and more advanced parts, the electronic cigarette continues to work the same. There are several variations of e-cigarettes these days, most receiving a different name from what they were once called to differentiate each type of product. Standard e-cigs that take on the cylindrical shape, being similar to the size of a traditional cigarette or the size of a cigar are called Vape Pens. We recently wrote a very detailed article that explains what a Vape Pen is and we also tell you the top 5 best vape pen starter kits that are available. Below is an image to help you understand what the parts are on a modern electronic cigarette — also referred to as a Vape Mod.
Want to learn about these new vaping products? Feel free to visit our friends at Vape Preview. They update their website daily with the latest vaping products on the market. While you’re there, they also have cool posts to grab your attention, such as vaping lists, vape memes that you can share online with your friends, and they even post deals to the cheapest vape products.