With the first LavaTube review we wrote here at GuideToVaping, we told you how we were amazed at how much you get with a LavaTube Kit for such a small asking price. That being said, the original LavaTube or LavaTube Version 1, was the first mass-produced advanced personal vaporizer at its price point in the electronic cigarette market. The LavaTube Version 1 was first released back on November 28th, 2011 and quickly became a huge hit and was voted “Best New Mod” in GuideToVaping’s “Best of 2011”.
Soon after, the Chrome LavaTube was released on April 24th, 2012. We also wrote the Chrome LavaTube review and just like the Version 1, we were amazed once again with how much you get for such a small asking price. The Chrome LavaTube or LavaTube Version 1.5, shown improvements in not only function, but its design as well. Our conclusion was… overall improved device, same small asking price. And, the Chrome LavaTube has been nominated for “Best New Mod” in GuideToVaping’s “Best of 2012”.
Are you starting to notice a pattern yet?
Now they’ve done it once again. Volcano Ecigs has released yet another device into the LavaTube series… The LavaTube Version 2. The LavaTube Version 2 was released just a couple of days ago on November 28th, 2012. Just like the other LavaTube’s in the series, we were amazed yet again at how much you get for such a small price. The LavaTube Version 2 of course came with its improved function and improved design. The popularity of the device followed.
As you’ll notice, the people at Volcano have a great way of running Volcano Ecigs. They stick with what works, which is the general LavaTube layout, and improve what doesn’t. What makes Volcano Ecigs stand out from the rest… is simply, consistantsy of improvement.
We took the input of previous issues and suggestions from the original LavaTube and made sure to utilize it on making the best device possible.
– Shadow Rhelm
Internals: A whole new chip set is introduced in Version 2 than the previous versions, uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) and has also been tuned to VRMS (Voltage Root Mean Square).
Design: The design is absolutely superb and well improved. The Version 2 has kept its past layout with the screen on top, the plus and minus buttons in parallel below and beneath that is the fire button. Starting from the top, the drip well is different from the original LavaTube’s. It now is a cut out ring surrounding the connector area instead of being completely being cut out throughout the whole area. Though the drip well is an improved change, the newly introduced lanyard hole sits directly inside the ring, which will allow e-liquid to escape and drip onto your device. However, it isn’t so common these days to even need a drip well with drip shields in use. The drip well does add a bit of spice to the top of the device though.
The Version 2 is 127mm length and 28mm in diameter (5″ long and 1 1/8″ diameter). It weighs just under 6oz. The device splits into two halfs. The top half holding the internals, buttons and connector and the bottom half holding the battery. The top half has a solid finish while the bottom half has dimples etched all around and the etched LavaTube logo surrounded by lines on the front and inline with the fire button. The etched dimples and LavaTube logo really makes this device’s design very unique and eye appealing. Holding the two halfs together, the threading is quite buttery feeling, so there isn’t a need for any noalox. Located on the bottom of the device sits 2 vent holes surrounded by the etched in Volcano logo.
Finish: The finish of the Version 2 is outstanding. The machine work of this tube is perfect, no marks, no rough patches, but has that smooth and raw feel. The body is a lightweight aluminum alloy covered with an anodized aluminum finish. The Version 2 is sold in 5 beautifully looking colors – Black, Blue, Gun Metal Gray, Red and Pink.
Connector: The connector sits very nicely on top of the device. The threading is smooth and there isn’t any play in the various atomizers and cartomizers I’ve used thus far. The center post seems to be sticking up perfectly as well.
Button: The button used on the LavaTube Version 2 is quite the improvement over the previous 2. The button resembles another device’s popular button that users have been known to prefer. The body has a cut out allowing the button to be inset into the device. The button is also flat instead of rounded like the previous LavaTube versions. This button was a great choice making the device more pocket friendly even when the device isn’t powered off. The only concerns for the button is it’s still using a plastic button, which in this case has a chrome plating. These plastic buttons tend to ware off the paint or plating over a short distance of time.
Screen: No longer will you see the red screen from the previous 2 LavaTube versions. The LavaTube Version 2 comes with a bright blue LCD screen that is much more appealing and can be easier on the eye due to its darker background. The numbers are very easy to read and the symbol’s are just big enough to not be in the way, yet still able to see. On the previous LavaTube versions, the screen lens was flat and inset into the device, but with the LavaTube Version 2, the screen lens is rounded and taking to the curvature of the device. With the screen lens rounding with the device, it gives the device a much more professional and quality look. At the bottom of the screen lens reads “VolcanoEcigs” and can be seen if tilted at certain angles to let the light shine through. The only concerns for this screen is that it’s set too far back into the device. If not held exactly straight, you’ll be able to see the rest of the internals in the device, which is very minor.
- Power / Activation Button: Click five times fast to power the device on / off; Hold the button down to activate.
- +Button: On press, increases voltage by .1 increments between 3volt and 6 volt. When you reach 6 volts, the user starts back at 3 volts.
- -Button: On press, decreases voltage by .1 increments between 3volt and 6 volt. When you reach 3 volts, the user starts back at 6 volts.
- Battery Voltage Meter: The LAVATUBE Version 2 has a voltage meter built-in, simply press and hold the – button for 5 seconds and it will display the voltage of the battery. This way you can monitor the power left in the battery before it needs to be recharged. 18650 batteries provide 4.2v at peak charge and over the life of the battery that voltage will decrease to about 3.2v level before needing to be recharged. This will help you monitor the life cycle of the battery.
- Atomizer Ohm Meter: The LAVATUBE Version 2 has an atomizer ohm meter built-in, simply press and hold the + button for 5 seconds and it will display the ohm’s resistance of the atomizer that is connected to the device.
- Selectable Voltage Range: 3v to 6v in 0.1v increments.
- Regulated Output: Advanced pulse-width modulation power output with accurate voltage settings tuned to VRMS.
- Auto Shutoff: If the activation button is held down for 15 seconds or longer, the LAVATUBE Version 2 will shut itself off until the button is released to prevent overheating the atomizer and the device.
- Short Circuit/Atomizer Protection: The LAVATUBE Version 2 can recognize an atomizer with too low of a resistance for the current voltage setting and will drop the voltage to 3.7v to protect both the battery and atomizer. If the atomizer is too low or shorted out it will shut off power to the device to protect the LAVATUBE Version 2 from being damaged.
- Reverse Battery Protection: Protects the device in case you put the battery in the device backwards.
- Battery Monitoring/Over-Discharge Protection: The device will monitor the battery voltage and automatically display “LO” on the display and turn off when the battery is discharged, preventing damage to the battery and the device by overly depletion.
- Amperage Limiting: 3 amps – The device should monitor and shut itself off if it detects any excessive over-current conditions.
- Vent Holes: 2 Vent holes on the bottom of the device for added safety.
The LavaTube Kit includes 1 LavaTube Version 2 in the color of your choice, 1 black cushioned LavaTube carrying case, 1 black AW IMR 1600mAh High Drain 18650 rechargeable LiMN battery, 1 XTAR WP2 multi-charger, 1 7ml chrome tube tank vapor delivery system with 3.0ohm cartomizer and plastic drip tip and 1 15ml bottle of USA made premium e-liquid in the stength and flavor of your choosing.
Opinion: I’ve always been a huge fan of the LavaTube, and not because of it being the best device on the market, but because of it being the best priced device on the market – matched with an outstanding warranty. I was pleased with the Version 1 LavaTube because it brought variable voltage to the market at a great price, then I really liked the Version 1.5 LavaTube because it improved in quality and again with a great price. Now I’m ecstatic about the Version 2 LavaTube because it has improved in all areas and thus far has been a solid APV. Volcano Ecigs have improved its function, its features and with an awesome improvement, the design. This version of LavaTube is honestly the best looking device I’ve seen.
The main parts that really pulls me to this device is the awesome finish and colors, along with the overall design. I’m of course pleased with its performance just as I’ve been with its past versions. If you want a great looking, great performing and overall solid device matched with an even better price… I definitely recommend the LavaTube Version 2 from www.VolcanoEcigs.com