Cannabis extracts are one of the top choices as dabbing becomes increasingly popular. Although cannabis concentrates have been around for hundreds of years, technology has paved the way to utilize extracts and develop them for a variety of products.
These extracts contain high doses of cannabinoids, mainly tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) or cannabidiol (CBD), and may vary in concentration. Since these products require more caution, it’s best to get equipped before trying them for the first time. Here are four essential things you should know about cannabis extracts.
- They Come In Solid Or Liquid Form
Cannabis extracts come in solid and liquid forms, varying in texture and thickness. The compounds are extracted using solvents like butane hash oil (BHO), propane hash oil (PHO), alcohol, and carbon dioxide.
Popular cannabis extracts, specifically shatter, wax, and crumble, are BHO-based. Purchasing these products from a licensed dispensary or recreational cannabis store online is the best and safest option. These solvent-based extracts are prone to contaminants, so homemade variants may not guarantee safety and purity.
- They Have Higher Potency
Experts develop cannabis extracts to get the purest form of cannabinoids. For instance, some products can contain 90% THC. This concentration is higher than smoking buds, which only carry10 to 25% THC.
Since cannabis extracts are highly potent, they can take effect within a minute. These concentrates attract even seasoned recreational cannabis users looking for a quicker way to get high. Depending on the dose and your body’s reaction, its effect may last from two to ten hours.
If you’re new to cannabis, you may want to save the extracts for later. The high cannabinoid concentration may cause an intense feeling of intoxication, which may lead to a negative experience. Setting up the tools to vaporize the extract also requires proper knowledge and skills.
- There Are Varieties To Choose From
There are various cannabis extracts to choose from that can elevate your experience. These products vary in consistency, making some more manageable than others. Here are some of the most popular choices.
- Wax: Cannabis wax resembles the appearance and texture of beeswax. It can contain up to 90% THC concentration. However, you can also find CBD wax with the same potency but without the intoxicating effects.
- Shatter: Shatter has a glass-like appearance. It is transparent with a golden or amber-like tint. Like glass, it breaks easily, requiring delicate handling to avoid wastage. Shatter can reach a THC concentration between 80 to 90%.
- Crumble: Crumble comes in two types: wax and sugar. Wax crumble is a lipid-rich extract, giving it a rigid consistency. It may break easily, but it doesn’t crumble into tiny pieces. On the other hand, sugar crumble breaks into small sugar-like particles. They may differ in appearance and texture, but the concentration is the same.
- Budder: Budder is known as a beginner-friendly cannabis extract due to its ease of consumption. Its consistency is slightly thicker than peanut butter and easier to manage than other concentrates. Long-term users also recognize it as one of the most flavorful extracts due to its terpene retention. Terpenes are compounds that give cannabis its distinct flavor and aroma.
- Honeycomb: Honeycomb is another cannabis extract popular for its rich flavor and aroma due to its high level of terpenes. It’s yellowish, with a waxy texture and honeycomb-like holes.
- Amber Glass: This extract looks similar to shatter but is more transparent with an amber-colored tint. Although it may contain up to 92% THC concentrates, it lacks aroma due to the absence or extremely low terpene retention.
- Live Resin: Since this is extracted using a cutting-edge method, live resin is one of the most expensive cannabis extracts today. It’s made with cryogenically frozen cannabis buds, which is only possible in sophisticated labs. However, the delicate process makes this extract top-notch in benefits and flavor due to its rich terpene profile.
It’s best to visit the nearest licensed dispensary or check trusted online shops to discover more options.
- They’re Consumed Through Dabbing
Cannabis extracts are enjoyed through dabbing. Dabbing is an emerging trend in cannabis consumption, involving vaporization through high temperatures. It requires a dab rig, a bong-like pipe, and water to filter the vapor. This tool is specifically designed for cannabis extracts or concentrates.
Dabbing can be complex, especially for beginners. Here are a few quick steps to follow:
- Heat the nail with a butane torch.
- Wait around 30 to 60 seconds to let the nail cool down and reach the ideal temperature between 300 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. You may use an infrared thermometer for accuracy.
- Grab your dabber or a scooping tool, and place your chosen extract on the nail.
- Inhale the vapor. It requires a long and slow inhalation to vaporize the extract, then exhale immediately to minimize irritation.
- Clean all your tools and store your extracts properly.
When dabbing, always prioritize safety, especially during heating, to avoid fire risks. If you’re not confident in this method, you may roll your concentrates with buds for smoking.
Cannabis extracts can make one’s cannabis journey more enjoyable. The higher concentration of cannabinoids can make each experience pleasurable as you reap their health benefits. However, starting slowly with low doses is best to reduce risks and adverse reactions.